“Topping Out” of Miramar College Science Building
San Diego Community College District
Ursula Kroemer – Communications Director / Sandi Trevisan – Public Information Officer, San Diego Miramar College
SAN DIEGO – A “topping out” for the Science Building expansion at San Diego Miramar College was held Monday, marking the construction milestone of reaching the highest structural point in the project.
The ceremonial practice started in Scandinavia over 1,000 years ago. Upon reaching the highest point, workers traditionally put into place a small evergreen tree as a symbol of good faith and good luck.
In keeping with this longstanding construction tradition, the final vertical beam used for the Science Building expansion was made available for construction crew members, campus and district dignitaries, students and other guests to sign before it was hoisted into place along with an evergreen tree and American flag.
The Science Building expansion project includes a new 50,000 square foot structure and conversion of some space on the first and second levels to provide a breezeway to the entrance of the new building.
The first level of the new building includes classrooms and faculty offices totaling approximately 18,000 square feet. The second level includes teaching laboratories for chemistry, astronomy, geology, anatomy, marine biology, microbiology, physics, biology, and lab preparation rooms totaling approximately 27,000 square feet. The roof level has a greenhouse and observatory totaling 1,000 square feet of occupied space. The overall site improvement area is approximately 100,000 square feet. It is on track to obtain a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certification from the United States Green Building Council (USGBC), one of more than 40 LEED certifications awarded or planned for SDCCD projects.
The $34 million Science Building expansion project is one of nine projects currently under construction as part of the San Diego Community College District’s $1.555 billion Propositions S & N construction bond program.
Science Building Expansion Project Team
- Architect: Marlene Imirzian & Associates
- Builder: DPR Construction
- D/B Electrical: Bergelectric Corp.
- D/B Mechanical: University Mechanical & Engineering Contractors
- Electrical Engineer: Randall Lamb
- Civil Engineer: KPFF Consulting Engineers
- Structural Engineer: Hope Engineering
- Landscape Architect: Spurlock Poirier Landscaping
- Campus Project Manager: James Bray, Gafcon, Inc.
- Project Manager: Charlotte Zolezzi, Gafcon, Inc.
- Furniture, Fixture & Equipment (FF&E) Project Manager: Laura Faustine, Gafcon, Inc.
- Propositions S & N Program Manager: Gafcon, Inc.