Fox Theatre Restoration
Detroit, MIInformation +
When the Fox Theatre in Detroit Michigan opened in 1928, it was the second largest theatre in the world. Having a lush mix of Arabic, Indian, and Moorish influenced architecture and being listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it had fallen into disrepair by 1987 when the theatre was purchased by Mike and Marion Ilitch of Little Caesar’s Pizza.
The theatre was completely restored to its original appearance. Patron restrooms were enlarged, an elevator added, food service areas were expanded and the mezzanine level was converted to private boxes. The backstage of the theatre was modernized to accommodate an entire range of performing arts – from opera to dance. The ten-story office building was renovated to accommodate 400 employees and became the home to the Little Caesar’s corporate center. An atrium space in-filled in the building’s light well and the entire building was updated to meet current building codes.
A glorious tribute to the Golden Age of cinema, the renovated Fox Theatre was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award by the Engineering Society of Detroit, as well as the 1989 Honor Award from the Detroit Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Since the restoration, the Fox Theatre has become one of the most successful theatres in the country, hosting Broadway shows, concerts, special events and even the occasional classic film.